Our triumphant, tenacious and touching, 2.6 challenge
“That's what I consider true generosity:
You give your all and yet you always feel as
if it costs you nothing.” —Simone de Beauvoir
With London Marathon cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic an urgent call to action was
placed to help save charities on what would have been the world's biggest one-day fundraising event.
Born through crisis and cleverly created in a sprint, the 2.6 Challenge provided charities like MYTime Young
Carers with the opportunity to generate funds to continue delivering and developing vital services at this time
and beyond. Our favourite thing about the 2.6 Challenge was that it could be any at-home activity as long
as it involved the numbers two and six!
Excited by the opportunity to have some fun whilst fundraising The MYTime team got stuck in immediately,
creating their own personal 2.6 challenges and calling on their supportive community to get involved.
We were overwhelmed by the responses, and donations so far have reached an astonishing £3500!
We know things are difficult now for everyone, with many people furloughed and concerned about their
financial security. This amount of generosity was completely unexpected and we promise we will use it wisely
to give our young carers the very best experiences.
Today we dedicate our blog to our Home Heroes by celebrating each person that dedicated their time to MYTime.
We’ve compiled these incredible achievements into a handy list which we hope will inspire you and demonstrate the
generosity of spirit from our incredible community.
Young Carers, Home Heroes and MYTimers we salute you. You ALL Rock.
- Kate and Ian took on a monster 26-mile marathon on a rowing machine, that is a colossal 42,195 meters.
- The wonderful community who live in the village of Worth Matravers, where the MYTime outdoor centre calls home
held a community plant sale, they sold a huge number of plants and created a beautiful 2.6 display with their plants.
- Kobe who plays in the youth side at Bournemouth rugby club took on his own 26 mile bike ride challenge, cycling a whopping
6 miles on Sunday!
- Charlie has taken on a bouncing challenge, he is doing 26 backdrop flips a day for 26 days. That is a massive 676 bounces. At
the time of writing, he’s still going! Go, Charlie!!
- Kiera and Lara Milward created the MYTime @ Home 2.6 fitness challenge, challenging participants to do 26 squats, 26 star
jumps, 26 plank twists and 26 sit-ups in under 2 mins and 6 seconds!
- Team CC hosted and delivered a free team training session!
- The brilliant boys over at E-Motion Fitness hub ran some 26 themed fitness sessions on Saturday morning. They delivered fun-filled
sessions including yoga, HIIT and Zuu, accessible and open to everyone.
- A big shout out to first-team from Bournemouth Rugby Club, coach Mike Pope and Senior Player Toby Kenneally for arranging for
getting involved with E-Motion Fitness hubs HIIT session.
- The magnificent PE staff from Glenmoor and Winton Academies got together and created the A-Z challenge, over 1800 students
were set the challenge of creating a series of 26 sporting moves one for each letter of the alphabet and on Sunday morning they
completed all 26 moves in order without forgetting any of the moves. Staff from Glenmoor and Winton posted their attempts at some
of these moves- please head over to Twitter to see the incredible Mr Nash, Head of Year 9, showing us his moves. This is not to be missed,
we’ve never seen moves like it!
- We would also like to say a huge thank you to the Dean and the team at 4Com.
- Little MYTime Heroes Megan and Teddy created their own list of things to do to help fundraise!
- Lou Handley cycled an eyewatering 26 miles at home on an exercise bike!
- Penny our Development Manager performed 26 yoga moves, Gemma our Operation and Groups Manager and her children have
been creating scenes with 26 toys to highlight that young carers can often go unseen, Ellie took on Kiera’s challenged, Kate ran 2.6 miles a
day for 10 days as did Krista and Wendy our Fundraising and Relationships Manager, has been learning Spanish for 2 hours and 6 minutes
every day for 10 days- Muy Buena!!
- And finally, our Executive Director took on a ridiculous challenge with a group of her friends, they each bounced 2.6km on unicorn
space hoppers! Lou, Joanna, Jemma, Katie and Krista started at 10 am on Sunday which is when Krista would have been starting her
first ever London Marathon.
We hope you'll agree a fantastic effort by all was made to make MYTimes 2.6 challenge a great success!
It's not too late to get involved and make a donation towards our Young Carers and the sterling efforts of our MYTime family.
You can simply text MYTIME to 70660 to donate £3 or click here
Thanks, Love Team MYTime x