Places to visit
The Isle of Purbeck boasts beautiful beaches, hill walking, historic buildings and a coastline with World Heritage status. Its spectacular and dramatic geological features including Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, Old Harry Rocks and St Aldhelms Head form part of the Jurassic Coast. Our Centre in Worth Matravers is the perfect base only 5 miles from Swanage and 8 from Wareham.
Our Top Ten
The Jurassic Coast. Without getting in your car you can walk the South West Coast Path from our Outdoor Centre. There are several stunning circular walks to St Aldhelms Head, Winspit, Chapman's Pool or why not take the Priest's Way to Swanage.
- Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door demand a visit - the world famous natural limestone arch, Horseshoe Bay and Stair Hole are all top of Dorset's most photographed list.
Arne Nature Reserve recently featured on BBC's Autumn/ Spring Watch is an RSPB nature reserve and SSI situated on the tranquil shores of the stunning Poole Harbour.
- Monkey World is a world-renowned chimpanzee rescue centre and monkey sanctuary near Wool - old and young will love watching the antics of the animals.
Bovington Tank Museum is known as the home of the Tank. A brilliant interactive museum tracing the history of modern weaponry from the First World War up to date.
6. Tyneham Village is a ghost village - one of only a handful of parishes in the UK with a population of none! In 1943 the villagers moved out and never returned - visit the remains of their cottages and learn their stories.
7. Swanage Railway is a heritage steam and diesel railway travelling six miles through the Dorset Countryside taking in Corfe Castle. While you're in Swanage - why not relax on the beach and be sure to check out Lucy's Farm for a very special souvenir!
8. Corfe Castle - there is more to Corfe than a National Trust Castle yet the castle dominates the view and attracts the visitors. The village has a unique range of teahouses, shops and pubs. It can also be the base for some stunning walks.
9. The Beaches, Studland - South, Middle and Knoll beaches all offer very different experiences with sand, sea and plenty of activities for everyone.
10. Visit Dorset - this fantastic website lets you search for ideas and inspiration to suit your budget, your mood or the weather!